ULEZ Scrappage Scheme for WAVs
What is the ULEZ Scheme
The ULEZ (Ultra Low Emissions Zone) Scheme covers a specific geographical areas within a city where only vehicles meeting stringent emission standards are allowed to drive (without a daily charge).
These zones act as controlled spaces to foster cleaner air quality and reduce the adverse impact of vehicular emissions.
The ULEZ scheme runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except Christmas day) and if your vehicle does not meet the emissions standard, there will be a daily charge of £12.50 (if you drive into the ULEZ).
As of 29th August 2023, the ULEZ was expanded to cover all London borough’s.
Vehicles that fail to meet the prescribed emission standards are subject to ULEZ charges. These charges are intended to incentivize the use of environmentally friendly vehicles and discourage the operation of high-emission ones within the ULEZ.
If you are unsure whether your vehicle complies with the ULEZ standards, you can enter your registration number into TFL’s handy tool.
ULEZ charges apply to vehicles that enter the designated zones and do not comply with the emission standards. It's essential to note that these charges operate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This consistent enforcement underscores the seriousness of addressing air quality concerns.
ULEZ Scrappage Scheme
If you live in one of the zones across London and own a wheelchair accessible vehicle, there is good news for you.
The government have an incentive in place that provides you with a £10,000 payment (previously £5,000) to scrap your old, non-ULEZ compliant wheelchair accessible vehicle for a newer, ULEZ compliant vehicle.
There are specific requirements in place that you must meet in order to qualify for the scrappage scheme.
- You will need to live in one of the 32 London boroughs or the City of London
- Your existing WAV does not meet ULEZ emission standards
- Your existing WAV must have been converted by mobility experts
- Your vehicle must have been registered to your in one of the 32 London borough’s since 30th January 2022
Your wheelchair accessible vehicle must also adhere to a specific set of adaptations in order to qualify for the scrappage grant:
- A permanently fitted foldable ramp or a powered lift allowing the wheelchair user to enter the vehicle
- An electric or hydraulic wheelchair hoist to lift a person or wheelchair into the vehicle
- A swivel seat on either the passenger or driver side of the vehicle.
- An accelerator ring permanently fitted to the steering wheel of the vehicle
It is worth noting that this grant could be treated as savings for any means tested benefits you claim.
How to apply for the ULEZ Scrappage Scheme
You will need to apply online for the scrappage scheme grant and provide information about yourself and the vehicle during the process.
Some of the information required might be proof of address, photographic identification and proof of vehicle ownership (V5C log book/ insurance certificate). When applying to scrap a WAV, they will also require one image showing the whole rear of the vehicle including clearly legible number plate of vehicle.
They will also need to see:
Where the vehicle is adapted to be wheelchair accessible:
- One image of the vehicle's permanent conversion for wheelchair access
- One image of the wheelchair securing system
Where the vehicle is adapted to enable use by wheelchair users:
- Two images of the swivel seat, one facing forwards and one sideways
- Two images of the hydraulic or electronic hoist system; one of it permanently attached to the vehicle and one of it installed in the vehicle (showing the interior of the vehicle for context).
- Where the vehicle is adapted to be driven by a disabled person:
- One image of the vehicle driving area, with the door open, showing the accelerator ring and the interior of the vehicle in context.
- One image showing the accelerator ring attached to the steering wheel of the vehicle.
- You will need to have (or create) a London road user charging (RUC) account
- The name on your photo ID must match the name on your RUC account and on the vehicle's registration document
- You will need to have a valid email address connected to your RUC account
- Read the ULEZ car and motorcycle scrappage scheme terms and conditions
- Have all the required documents ready before you start the application
- You will need to complete the application in one go as it will time out if you are inactive for 30 minutes
Once you have had your application approved, get in touch with the friendly team here at Wholesale Car Company and we will help find you a suitable Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle replacement with your grant.